Federal Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz and Saskatchewan Agriculture Minister Lyle Stewart announced $3.4 million in funding for 23 livestock and forage research projects.
Funding for these projects is provided through the Saskatchewan Agriculture Development Fund (ADF).
Livestock and forage projects receiving funding in 2013 include:
- New forage barley for beef and dairy producers;
- Development of oral and needle-free vaccines for calves;
- Analysis of sheep health in the province;
- New nutritional feeds for piglets;
- Improving the energy value in high-protein feed;
- DNA testing technologies for cattle;
- Improved production management tools for cow-calf operations;
- Development of new vaccines for poultry; and
- Field-testing a vaccine against chronic wasting disease.
Wednesday January 23, 2013/ Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada.