The objective of the meeting in June is to propose an action plan on the volatility of agricultural prices to be endorsed by the Heads of State Summit scheduled for 3 and 4 November 2011 in Cannes.
France, which currently holds the presidency of the G20, identified the following themes for this meeting:
- develop agricultural production in the long run in order to match the increasing demand and limit shortages;
- improve market information and transparency in the interests of governments and economic operators with the creation of a joint database on stocks and production;
- improve international coordination in order to enhance confidence in international markets andto prevent and manage food crisis more efficiently e.g. by setting up a specific a world forumable to respond quickly in case of a crisis;
- develop risk management tools for the most vulnerable in order to cope with excessive foodvolatility; and,
- better organise the agricultural markets.