National Pig Health Council (NPHC) Chairman Pat Kirwan, said at the meeting of the NPHC a number of measures were agreed to limit the risk of entry of the PEDv into Ireland. These measures include:
1. An initial 3 month voluntary ban on the importation of live Pigs or Semen (including for shows and specialist breeds).
2. An initial 3 month ban on the export of live pigs for slaughter to infected countries
3. An initial 3 month voluntary ban on the sale of plasma protein/blood plasma products or products containing these substances.
4. A recommendation that all staff returning to work after the Christmas break must prove that they have been back in the country for at least 3 days. These staff should also be provided with new clothing and foot ware.
5. Biosecurity on farms / feed mills to be increased.
Friday January 2, 2015/ IFA/ Ireland.