Since the confirmation of its presence at the beginning of 2014 in several EU countries, the disease has kept spreading, affecting wild boars and domestic pigs in Estonia, Latvia and Poland, as well as in Russia and Ukraine.
We bring forth a summary of the African swine fever (ASF) outbreaks declared to the OIE by the European Union countries, Russia and Ukraine up to 30 June 2015.
- Lithuania: in 2015, a total of 43 ASF outbreaks have been confirmed, all of them in wild boars with a total of 56 cases.
- Latvia: it has confirmed, in 2015, a total of 171 oubreaks (170 in wild boars, with a total of 303 cases; and 1 outbreak in domestic pigs that affected 11 animals).
- Estonia: 55 outbreaks with a total of 78 wild boars affected by the disease.
- Poland: since January 2015, 36 outbreaks have been confirmed (35 in wild boars, with a total of 57 cases; and a case that affected 5 domestic pigs).
- Ukraine: 2 outbreaks have been confirmed: one in May that affected a wild boar and another one by the end of June that affected 5 domestic pigs.
- Russia: 26 outbreaks: 11 in pigs and 15 in wild boars, affecting 1,28 domestic pigs and 112 wild boars.
Fig. 1. Monitoring of the ASF outbreaks confirmed by the OIE since January 2015.
July 2015/ OIE.