The Presidency gave a public presentation on its work programme in the agriculture and fisheries
The agricultural policy priorities will include:
The common agricultural policy (CAP) reform package by:
- Identifying key elements for a compromise on the four main regulations (direct payments, rural development, single common market organisation (CMO) and financing the CAP);
- Organising focussed debates on thematic issues such as innovation, greening or simplification;
- Seeking agreement with the European Parliament on the proposals concerning transitional measures for the direct payments and the wine sector.
- The alignment of the agricultural legislation to Lisbon-Treaty, for which the Presidencyhope to reach an agreement with the European Parliament;
- A presentation and orientation debate on the amendment of financing the CAP in relation to transparency and a Commission communication on the promotion of agricultural products;
- Research and innovation in the agricultural sector (Commission conference on 7/03/2012).
As regards food and veterinary issues the Presidency intends to work on:
Ensuring and improving the existing high food safety standards and adequate informationto consumers by:
- Reaching agreement with the European Parliament on the proposal on food intended for infants and young children and on food for special medical purposes;
- Prioritizing organic production and confidence with organic products;
- Working on the Commission package on food quality for reaching and agreement with the European Parliament;
- Focussing on antimicrobial resistance and on the use of antimicrobials in both human and veterinary medicine (Presidency conference on 14-15/03/2012 - Copenhagen);
- Working on the modernisation of the official meat control systems towards a risk assessment based approach (Presidency conference on 2-3/02/2012 - Copenhagen);
Making a priority of animal welfare and health by:
- working on the EU strategy for animal welfare (Presidency and Commission conference on 29/02-1/03/2012 - Brussels);
- seeking to reach consensus on Council conclusions on the protection of animals during transport.
Sunday January 23, 2012/ Consilium/ European Union.