The Fundamentals of Pig Welfare at Slaughter course introduces the responsibility of live animal handling in a way that ensures employees understand how humane treatment and best practices affect the quality of the finished pork product. The course covers handling from pig arrival and unloading, to pre-slaughter and then stunning and slaughter.
Adding ethical and economic value across the supply chain
“We have created a range of Fundamentals courses for global supply chain employers who want an affordable and simple method of delivering entry-level training to new and existing staff,” says Paul Cook, Director of RL Consulting. “The pig slaughter course explains the links between responsible animal handling, compliance with customer standards, and improved animal welfare and meat quality. The training is comprehensive, consistent and designed to fulfill annual training needs within a range of facilities. Once staff have completed the course and received their certificate, the business can easily demonstrate their due-diligence in respect of animal handling and welfare.”
Fundamentals Course Benefits
- Immediate: Courses can be taken at any time by logging into http://www.rlfundamentals.com/ and takes about 60 minutes to complete.Additional online training courses available from RL Consulting cover the fundamentals of poultry welfare at slaughter and duck welfare at catching on-farm. Courses in cattle welfare at slaughter and salmon welfare at catching and slaughter will be available mid-summer. To meet customer needs, additional species-specific and production specific courses are now in development. Any questions about the Fundamentals courses can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Multi-lingual: Using an assigned password, the candidate clicks through a series of slides at their own pace, in their chosen language. This ensures a strong understanding of the content (available immediately in English; additional languages will be available soon).
- Easy: a clear and intuitive navigation route makes it accessible to staff with limited or no computer skills.
Visual content: Minimal text and bold graphics clearly illustrate how to identify and alleviate problems that may arise during unloading, in the lairage and at slaughter.
- Reinforced messaging: Interactive questions at the end of each topic reinforce the welfare messages and increase message retention before a multiple choice online exam on completion of the course.
- Certificate of completion: A personalized certificate is immediately generated, which is transferable to other employers.