It is very important to analyze new PRRSV sequences against a broad reference set representing the farm, the system and the region, as well as the sequences of available commercial vaccines (this will make it possible to differentiate between field and vaccine strains).
Swine veterinarian at Gruppo Veronesi. Italy
Date: 1976 - Dec 1981. Faculty of Veterinary Science, University of Parma.
Degree and marks: Veterinarian, thesis entitled "Porcine stress syndrome".
Main areas of interest: Swine pathology and production.
Name of the institution: Istituto di Clinica Medica (Veterinarian Internal Medicine Institute), Faculty of Veterinary Science; University of Parma, Italy.
Date: May 1983 - present
Occupation: Veterinarian in the swine sector. Currently he is Swine Production Health Director.
Activity and main responsibility: Full-time job at Agricola Tre Valli, Gruppo Veronesi since 1983. The 100% of his professional activity is dedicated to swine production. Currently he is the Health Director of the swine department. Among his main responsibilities we find:
• Design of the production flows according to the health state.
• Implementation of biosafety measures in the different levels of the chain.
• Design and implementation of procedures for the health surveillance and eradication of diseases.
• Searching and keeping relationships with public and private laboratories, universities, investigation centres, and national and regional health institutions.
• Counselling for external clients.
• Guidance in the production system for the careful use of antibiotics.
• Organizing the continuing education of the group comprised of veterinarians, technicians and staff.
Regular presenter/speaker in scientific meetings and lectures, and in courses for swine veterinarians (postgraduate studies and continuing education) and producers.
Scientific organisations and recognitions
• 1989–1994 (1st term of office): Member of the board of directors of SIPAS (Società Italiana Patologia e Allevamento Suini = Swine Pathology and Rearing Italian Society).
• Secretary of the Organizing Committee of the XIVth IPVS Congress held in Bologna and Member of the International Pig Veterinary Society.
• Member of the American Association of Swine Veterinarians (AASV) since 1990, and of the British Pig Veterinary Society (PVS) since 1993. • 1999-2006 (2nd term of office): Member of the board of directors of SIPAS, with the post of vice-president.
• "Porco Bravo" prize (award of the industry for the activity and investigation) in 2007.
Updated CV 12-Jun-2013
There was a sudden increase in mortality in a site 2 farm with the loss of the "biggest piglets" in the group.No particular symptomatology was seen but every day some dead piglets were found.