NPPC and NPB are recommending that pork producers work with their herd veterinarian to reduce transmission of influenza viruses by:
• Giving influenza virus vaccinations to pigs.
• Giving seasonal influenza virus vaccinations to swine farm workers.
• Establishing, implementing and enforcing strict leave policies for workers who exhibit influenza-type symptoms.
• Implementing worker sick-leave policies that encourage employees to remain away from work when they are suffering from acute respiratory infections.
• Maintaining appropriate ventilation in the barns.
• Enforcing basic hygiene and biosecurity practices, including the use of personal protective gear.
• Preventing pig-to-bird contact by making buildings bird proof and treating water if it is supplied from an open body of water where birds and migratory fowl may be found.
• Restricting public access to barns