Read this article in:

EU: GHG livestock emissions in 2030

The livestock sector will contribute directly to 72% of the non-CO2 GHG emissions of agriculture in 2030.

Thursday 21 December 2017 (6 months 3 days ago)

Agriculture accounts for slightly more than 10% of total EU - 28 GHG emissions. According to the CAPRI projection, total non-CO2 (CH4 and N2O) GHG emissions from agriculture are expected to decrease by 2030 ( - 1.5 % to 433 million t CO2 equivalent ) compared to the reference year 2008.

In 2030, livestock will continue to be responsible for 99% of all methane (CH4) emissions from agriculture, the biggest share (85%) coming from ruminants digestion. The main sources of nitrous oxide emissions (N2O) are related to crop and grassland production, mainly inorganic (mineral) fertiliser application, crop residues and cultivation of organic soils (e.g. histosols). These will account in 2030 for 51% of N2O emissions. The remainder is associated with manure housing and storage 11%, manure on grazing land 12%, manure fertilisation of fields 16% and indirect emissions 10%.

Overall, the livestock sector will contribute directly to 72% of the non-CO2 GHG emissions of agriculture in 2030, if emissions from manure on the field are allocated to the livestock sector. Crop and fodder areas generate the remaining 28% of non-CO2 GHG emissions and part of these emissions is linked to the production of animal feed.

Monday December 18, 2017/ DG Agriculture/ European Union.
https://ec.europa.eu/info/news

Swine news

United Kingdom: New farming rules for water12-Dec-2017 6 months 12 days ago

Article Comments

This area is not intended to be a place to consult authors about their articles, but rather a place for open discussion among pig333.com users.

Access restricted to 333 users. In order to post a comment you must be logged in.

Not a registered user of 333?sign upand access swine prices, the search engine, ...
It is fast and free
Are you registered in 333?LOGINIf you've forgotten your password we'll send it to you here

tags

Swine News

Swine industry news in your email

You are not subscribed to this list

22-Jun-201815-Jun-201808-Jun-201801-Jun-2018

Log in and sign up on the list

Not a registered user of 333?sign upand access swine prices, the search engine, ...
It is fast and free
Are you registered in 333?LOGINIf you've forgotten your password we'll send it to you here