Minister Han met with Minister Mendes Ribeiro Filho from the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Food Supply (MAPA) of the Federative Republic of Brazil in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on June 21, 2012. The two sides had frank and in-depth discussions on promoting agricultural cooperation, agricultural trade and investment between China and Brazil.
Minister Han stressed that both sides attach great importance to agricultural cooperation, and are willing to uplift the cooperation to a new height. The signing of Strategic Plan for Strengthening Agricultural Cooperation between the Ministry of Agriculture of the People’s Republic of China and the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Food Supply of the Federative Republic of Brazil will usher the existing agricultural cooperation into a new stage featuring all-round and in-depth cooperation as well as broader prospects.
Minister Han put forward the following suggestions for further cooperation:
1. Invitation to Ribeiro to attend the 1st China-Latin America Ministerial Forum on Agriculture to be held in China;
2. Implementation of Strategic Plan for Strengthening Agricultural Cooperation by bringing into full play the role of the China-Brazil Joint Committee on Agriculture and its working groups;
3. Enhancement of R&D cooperation, the establishment and development of joint labs and promotion of S&T innovation in agriculture of the two countries;
4. Promotion of mutual investment for sharpening agricultural competitiveness of both countries in the international market;
5. Greater multi-lateral and regional cooperation in agriculture to jointly safeguard interests of developing countries.
Ribeiro agreed on Minister Han’s suggestions for cooperation. He expressed Brazil’s readiness to actively promote agricultural S&T cooperation, trade and investment and to speed up the building of joint labs.
Monday June 25, 2012/ Ministry of Agriculture/ China.
Ministry of Agriculture