Finding an occasional pig with PCVAD within a large population is not unexpected since vaccination compliance is rarely 100%. How does one assess impact of PCVAD in a vaccinated population?
Iowa State University, ISU VDL, Sioux Nation Ag Center. United States
|1987||Iowa State University||Ames, Iowa||M.S. - Pathology|
|1978||Iowa State University||Ames, Iowa||D.V.M. (distinction)|
|1974||Iowa State University||Ames, Iowa||B.S. - Bacteriology|
2011: Senior Clinician, Faculty status, CVM, Iowa State University
1989-Present: Iowa State University Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory, Ames, Iowa
- Veterinary Diagnostician: Responsible for 1500-3300 cases/year, submitted from veterinarians
- Instruct veterinary students; Pathology Section Leader; Field Investigations; Continuing education
2007: Exploring evidence-based medicine with veterinary practice context
- Explore applications to veterinary medicine; visualizing data; continuous improvement tools; visualizing data over time; integrating diagnostic laboratory data into field decisions
1987-2005: Research Director, TEAM ASSOCIATES, Story City, Iowa.
- Responsibilities include study design and implementation, generate Investigator's Final Reports
- Disease Models: Models developed or adapted for studies include 16 different infectious agents
- Trials for Growth and Performance, efficacy (pharmaceuticals and biologicals), safety bioequivalency using GCP or GLP; experienced with two FDA Site Audits
1978-1985: Veterinary Practitioner
1971-1978: Veterinary Research Technician; Iowa State University (Dr. Robert Glock and Dr. DL Harris)
Awards: 2013-Alumni Service Award; 2010-CVM Faculty of the year; 2009-Howard Dunne Award, AASV
Editorial Board/Reviewer: 6 professional journals
AASV: Board of Directors; AASV Swine Health Committee Chair 2008-2012
National Pork Board: Sentinel Clinics / Surveillance
Books and book chapters
Co-editor: Diseases of Swine. 2012.
Schwartz, K.J. 2005/09: Swine Disease Manual. Completely revised and published in cooperation with the American Association of Swine Veterinarians and Iowa State University Department of Veterinary Diagnostic and Production Animal Medicine.
Updated CV 08-Oct-2014