Early weaning reduces small intestinal alkaline phosphatase expression in pigs

Early weaning decreased small intestinal IAP Vcap, IAP catalytic affinity, and IAP gene expression, and this may in part contribute to the susceptibility of early-weaned piglets to increased occurrence of enteric diseases and growth-check.
Thursday 3 June 2010 (8 years 6 months 10 days ago)
Like
Expression of the small intestinal alkaline phosphatase (IAP) is enterocyte differentiation dependent and plays essential roles in the detoxification of pathogenic bacterial lipopolysaccharide endotoxin, maintenance of luminal pH, organic phosphate digestion, and fat absorption.

This study was conducted to examine the effect of early weaning on adaptive changes in IAP digestive capacity (Vcap) and IAP gene expression compared with suckling counterparts in pigs at ages 10–22 d. Weaning decreased (P < 0.05) IAP enzyme affinity by 26% and IAP maximal enzyme activity by 22%, primarily in the jejunal region, with the jejunum expressing 84–86% of the whole gut mucosal IAP Vcap [mol/(kg body weight·d)]. The majority (98%) of the jejunal mucosal IAP maximal activity was associated with the apical membrane and the remaining (2%) existed as the intracellular soluble IAP. Weaning reduced the abundance of the 60-kDa IAP protein associated with the proximal jejunal apical membrane by 64% (P < 0.05). Furthermore, weaning reduced (P < 0.05) the relative abundance of the proximal jejunal IAP mRNA by 58% and this was in association with decreases (P < 0.05) in the abundances of cytoplasmic (27%) and nuclear (29%) origins of IAP caudal-associated homeobox transcription factor 1.

In conclusion, early weaning decreased small intestinal IAP Vcap, IAP catalytic affinity, and IAP gene expression, and this may in part contribute to the susceptibility of early-weaned piglets to increased occurrence of enteric diseases and growth-check.

D. Lackeyram, C. Yang, T. Archbold, K.C. Swanson and M.Z. Fan. Early Weaning Reduces Small Intestinal Alkaline Phosphatase Expression in Pigs. J. Nutr. 2010. Vol. 140 (3): 461-468.

Article Comments

This area is not intended to be a place to consult authors about their articles, but rather a place for open discussion among pig333.com users.
Leave a new Comment

Access restricted to 333 users. In order to post a comment you must be logged in.

Not a registered user of 333?sign upand access swine prices, the search engine, ...
It is fast and free
Are you registered in 333?LOGINIf you've forgotten your password we'll send it to you here

tags