The Commission will mark the mid-point of the EU Strategy for the Protection and Welfare of Animals 2012-2015 at a conference in Brussels today. The event will bring together key stakeholders to review the achievements of the strategy to date, and to identify remaining challenges. Government authorities, non-governmental organisations and those who work with animals every day will have the opportunity to discuss practical issues related to animal welfare and identify key areas for action to improve animal conditions for the strategy’s remaining term and beyond.
Key achievements in animal welfare in the EU:
- To date, more than 2 000 veterinarians have received training on animal welfare.
- An EU-wide ban on conventional cages for laying hens has improved the health and welfare of 360 million laying hens.
- 12 million female pigs have a better quality of life thanks to rules on sow stalls.
- Animal testing for cosmetics banned since 2009.
- Improved transport conditions for animals.
- Animal welfare policies exported to other countries.
Tuesday February 11, 2014/ EC/ European Commission.