In the Communication the Commission proposes in particular to:
• Extend labelling that identifies the place where agricultural product was farmed;
• Examine the feasibility of laying down specific optional reserved terms for 'product of mountain farming' and 'traditional product'. The latter could replace the current 'traditional specialities guaranteed' scheme.
• Create a unique register for all geographical indications (for wines, spirits and agricultural products and foodstuffs) while preserving the specificities of each system.
• Improve the single market for products under labelling schemes, particularly for organic products.
• Improve international protection of geographical indications and contribute to the development of international standards for marketing standards and organic product.
• Develop 'good practice' guidelines for private certification schemes to reduce potential for consumer confusion and to reduce red-tape for farmers.